Your liver is vital to your health and Fatty Liver Disease is increasing at an alarming rate. According to Dr. Fred Pescatore, it is probably related to the increase in diabetes, increased use of sweetened beverages, and bad fats. Besides leading to diabetes, it shrinks the brain, he calls it a lethal epidemic in the making. Your liver is a little appreciated organ that is vital to your health!
Bad fats that he wants us to avoid are of course, transfats, and those rich in omega 6 fatty acids which includes cottonseed oil, sunflower oil and soybean oil. Hydrogenated fats are included in this category of bad fats.
He likes “mono-unsaturated fats,” olive oil, fish and avocado oil.
“Good sources of omega-3 fatty acids include fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel, and sardines, flaxseeds, walnuts, canola oil, and unhydrogenated soybean oil…Foods rich in linoleic acid and other omega-6 fatty acids include vegetable oils such as safflower, soybean, sunflower, walnut, and corn oils.” https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-truth-about-fats-bad-and-goodhttps://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-truth-about-fats-bad-and-good
In general, it is found that Mediterranean style eating, with low carbs and high protein help the liver.
Supplements Dr. Pescatore recommends as follows are found at https://www.drpescatore.com/the-latest-on-fatty-liver-disease-americas-most-lethal-epidemic-in-the-making
“• Glucevia™ – Glucevia™ 1000 mg. to help eliminate stored fat in the liver which then helps with toxin removal.
• Lactobacillus fermentum ME-3 – “This is another hot-off-the-shelves nutritional supplement. It’s a probiotic I refer to simply as ME-3, and it’s the only supplement proven to promote the production of glutathione. This is critical, as glutathione is the main detoxifying agent in your liver, and one of the body’s most important antioxidants. Your body loses the ability to make this necessary antioxidant with age—and supplementation is the only way to jumpstart the process reliably. That’s why I recommend 60 mg per day.”
• Milk thistle – This is an “oldie but goodie” in the liver-support category. And to this day, it still remains a favorite. I recommend taking 500 mg of silymarin (that’s the active component of milk thistle) twice per day.
• N-acetyl cysteine – This amino acid is a precursor to glutathione, which I mentioned above. Your body needs N-acetyl cysteine as a building block in order to form that all-important antioxidant. I recommend 1,200 mg per day.
• Benfotiamine – This is a special form of the B vitamin thiamine. It’s essential to buffer your body from the damaging effects and toxic reactions resulting from excess sugar in your body. I recommend 150 mg per day.
• Mulberry –This powerful antioxidant does double duty for blood sugar support. It doesn’t act directly on the liver like some of the nutrients on this list. But keep in mind that liver damage in the U.S. is being largely fueled by sugar. So you need both antioxidants and blood sugar balancers in your arsenal in order to effectively fight this battle. I recommend 200 mg per day.”
See his full article and get his free e-letter at https://www.drpescatore.com/the-latest-on-fatty-liver-disease-americas-most-lethal-epidemic-in-the-makingt and protect your liver. It is a little appreciated organ that is vital to your health!